With Christmas Eve only a week away, I’m trying to get myself in the festive mood. There have been Christmas songs aplenty, talk of films (even if I’ve not gotten round to watching any – the US Office has put that on the back-burner) and Christmas parties.
I may even have eaten Christmas pudding for breakfast this morning.
Because it’s the best.
But I’ve also had to have a think about my own Christmas list. So thought I’d share a list of 15 books that are part of it this year.
- Nabokov’s Favourite Word is Mauve: The Literary Quirks and Oddities of our Most Loved Authors, Ben Blatt.
- The Fountain in the Forest, Tony White.
- Ice, Anna Kavan.
- All the Devils are Here, David Seabrook.
- Malacqua, Nicola Pugliese.
- A Tale for the Time Being, Ruth Ozeki.
- Moshi Moshi: a Novel, Banana Yoshimoto.
- Her Body and Other Parties, Carmen Maria Machado.
- Gaudy Bauble, Isabel Waidner.
- In Search of Lost Books: the Forgotten Stories of Eight Mythical Volumes, Giorgio van Straten.
- Dept. of Speculation, Jenny Offill.
- Dream Story, Arthur Schnitzler and Frederic Raphael.
- Impossible Fairy Tale, Han Yujoo.
- Swimmer Among the Stars, Kanishk Tharoor.
- The Clocks in This House All Tell Different Times, Xan Brooks.